About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 30, 2015

A-Z LAST DAY LETTER Z is for ZOO

Woo hoo! We made it. Letter Z! Thanks so much to everyone who followed me and commented on this journey. For my final A-Z post, letter Z is going to be for zoo. I wanted to highlight an amazing zoo we have here in New Jersey, the Popcorn Park Zoo in Lacey Township.
This poor little piggy was so overweight when she came to Popcorn Park Zoo she couldn't walk.
Now, that she's dropped some weight, she's feeling  much better about herself and can finally get around better.
When I met up with her, she was just cold chilling, taking a little siesta.
The Popcorn Park Zoo is amazing because the animals in this zoo have all been rescued! They take abused, disabled, abandoned and any and all misfits and help them survive here. These animals would most likely not have made it if it wasn't for the intervention of the loving hands at Popcorn Park.
Above: this guy's back legs were broken and his injury was never properly taken care of  by the individual that illegally owned him. Now, he has his own enclosure at the PPZ where they take proper care of him.
Sadly, due to the neglect, he will never regain proper use of his back legs.
Below: This magnificent creature is  Kya. She's a blind white tiger.
 


The Husband and I are huge supporters of the PPZ and visit with the kids as often as possible. My heart just bleeds hearing the stories and seeing how some people can be so cruel and treat animals the way that they do. I know we can't save them all, but the Popcorn Park Zoo does their very best to save as many as they can.
This is Dante. He is my favorite boy because he is fierce with a capital F. Dante was rescued from a canned hunt and was sent to live at PPZ 12 years ago. But then Dante got cancer. He is a survivor and after undergoing chemo, he won his battle against cancer. But then, when he finally was allowed back to his enclosure, he got poked in the eye by a stick, and lost almost all sight in one eye. This is a picture of him before cancer and his eye injury. 

Recently, my youngest daughter participated in a science fair. She chose to do her research on cat behavior, with a heavy concentration on the comparisons and contrasts between domestic and large cat behaviors. (Yes, having a mom that's a crazy cat lady kind of rubbed off on her..lol) In the course of her research, Frankie asked if she could go spend some time at the Popcorn Park Zoo. They graciously agreed and set us up with one of the big cat caretakers. What an incredible way for my daughter to learn. Spending time with the large cats was an awesome experience that inspired my daughter beyond what we could  have ever imagined. Honestly, it was an awesome experience for us all!
No matter what I did, I could not get blogger to turn this picture straight. I had to give up and post it like this before I threw the stupid computer out the window. This is what Dante looks like today, with his injured eye and a whole lot thinner. But like I said, he is fierce with a capital F.  For my daughter's research, we spent the most time observing  and spending time with Dante and I just love him to pieces. He is such a sweet boy.  Again, I'm sorry about the picture being crooked.

The Popcorn Park Zoo is always looking for help with donations. Just to give you an idea of what it takes to fund a place like PPZ, one tiger (like Dante) eats 15 pounds of meat a night, at a cost of $1 per pound. And they have a whole lot more mouths to feed besides the tigers.

Hope you all enjoyed my A-Z tour! Thanks again to everyone who popped in and commented and followed me on this journey - Jaybird


32 comments:

  1. What a wonderful zoo. I don't understand how people can be cruel to animals. Shame we even need a place like that.
    I bet Dante is still as tough as nails.
    Congratulations on completing the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dante is the coolest cat. And yeah, make me so upset that people can be so mean to innocent animals that trust them.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a wonderful place. Those poor animals. Dante looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Rach!! How are you? Dante is an amazing animal. Love him to bits.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like the very best kind of zoo. Glad there is a place where these animals can get some love and care. Cruelty to animals really angers me. Congrats on a great Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Nick, me too. I am, a super passive person in general. But when I hear about these three things: cruelty to children, the elderly or animals. It makes me furious when someone takes advantage of those in a vulnerable position like that. Thanks for riding along with me on this journey!!

      Delete
  4. We need more zoos like that. No matter what happens, don't ever talk me into buying a zoo.

    Congrats on surviving the challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey David! Yeah, I could not handle owning a zoo. Every time I go there, I want to bring all the animals in the shelter home with me. I could start my own zoo at my house.

      Delete
  5. WOW that is amazing. Kind of like the land of misfit toys but for real animals. I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what it's like Deb! I love to see how the animals get a new, fresh start at PPZ. It's an awesome place.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos. I agree, it's so sad to see animals suffer. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luana! Yes, it's so sad to see how they are treated. But great to see a place that is doing something about it.

      Delete
  7. What a fantastic way to finish out the alphabet, Jaybird! And what an amazing zoo/sanctuary. Thanks for your visits, comments and cyberfriendship! I really enjoyed connecting with you during this A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Susan!! I have enjoyed getting to know you as well on this journey. I hope my tour of NJ was not boring, and everyone learned a thing or two about my home state.

      Delete
  8. What a brilliant zoo! Our local city has a very good zoo where the animals are well-cared for and happy, as best as they can be in a zoo, anyway. They do a lot of conservation work and breeding to programmes to wild release. They have 23 of my poems up on the animals enclosures. Your zoo however take caring to a whole new level. I have done my whole blog on animals. ~Liz Congrats on getting to the end! http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com (don't use Twitter of Blogger links, they don't work!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that they have your poems on the animal enclosures.I love that. Thanks so much for popping in and commenting!

      Delete
  9. I have such mixed feelings about zoos. I love animals, almost ALL animals. I like the opportunity to see so many species that are not local to my area, but at the same time, I hate seeing them caged (although many in very near natural habitat) and often pacing as though they would like nothing better than to escape. All that said; THIS zoo that takes in and cares for those 'toss off' animals, so many people neglect/abuse and seem to simply not care about, makes my heart feel good. I only wish there were more places like this around the country, because I'm sure there are animals everywhere that could use this type of tender loving care.

    Kudos to you for exposing your daughters to this type of environment and teaching them to care.

    Your tour of New Jersey has been a wonder A to Z. I really enjoyed learning so much. Thanks for a fun tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya about the zoo animals. I know most would love to take off and run back into the wild. Unfortunately, when we have such cruel human beings in this world, who offer wild animals that were never meant to be domesticated (like wolves and big cats) for a price on the internet, we need more places like PPZ to step in and rescue them. It never ceases to amaze me at how sick some human beings are and what they will do to make a profit.

      I hope this tour wasn't boring..having a theme this year challenged me more than ever. Plus, lots of stuff going on here at home that really made this A-Z difficult. Thanks for hanging in there with me and Faith throughout FAE, you're the best!!!

      Delete
  10. I think all the animal rescue places are wonderful. People all over do horrible things to animals and it's nice to have dedicated places that will take them in and care for them until they're on their feet again and in many cases can be adopted.

    I love the big cats and wish they weren't so dangerous, or against the law to have, because I would love to have one.

    Congrats on finishing the A to Z. Thanks for visiting my blog during the challenge.

    Sunni

    http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This animal rescue is awesome. It brings me hope- and since I can't rescue all of those animals and bring them back to my house to recooperate, (lol) I'm glad there are places up and running like PPZ, that's for sure.

      It was so nice to meet you on the A-Z tour! We made it.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on completing the Challenge! :) What an awesome zoo. It reminds me of a facility we have near here called the Exotic Feline Rescue Center. They take old circus cats or ones illegally owned and give them a good home. Lots of tigers and lions. You can get much closer to them than you can at a zoo. Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet that was a nice experience for your daughter and one she will never forget. I am glad there are places like this that lovingly take animals that need a better life and take care of them as they should. It sounds like a wonderful place to visit and be part of. I know, some of the stories can be heart breaking, but glad they have a happy ending at that zoo :)

    It seemed like a lot of people did "Z - zoo" I read quite a few yesterday that closed the challenge with it :)

    Congrats!! We made it!! Good job for finishing well!! New Jersey is an interesting place to live!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's such an awesome zoo! I love that they rescue animals and care for them. And, what an awesome experience for your daughter! That's great!

    Congrats on finishing the challenge! You rock, Jaybird!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like this place is helping so many animals. Great that your daughter got to spend some extra time there finding out about the big cats. Congratulations on finishing A-Z too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't been to a zoo in about 15 years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well that's a nice name for a zoo. Nice and interesting story, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As always, gorgeous pics. I've been terrible with keeping up with everyone's A to Z posts but girl, congrats for finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the name, Popcorn Park Zoo. It's pretty catchy. I hope they serve awesome popcorn to go along with the name.

    Congrats on finishing the A-Z this year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic place. I even just love the name - Popcorn Park. This is exactly what a zoo should be.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is an amazing zoo! Animals are so defenseless against us; it's good there are people out there looking out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't get to zoos as often as I should, but these are beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello there.
    This is so sad, but only a temporary situation. Soon, God will restore paradise to the earth and neither man nor animals will have to fear each other.
    Congratulations on surviving the A-Z Challenge! I didn't get to visit your blog during the crazy month of April so I'm popping over today from the Road Trip. My goal is to visit all the blogs that linked up, before next year's challenge starts up again.

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete