About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A-Z Challenge Letter Y is for YES!

Today, much like yesterday, I'm really digging deep to make this letter work for my theme. My letter Y is going to be YES, I went to college in New Jersey.  Believe it or not, besides Princeton (which I highlighted for letter P) New Jersey is home to quite a few choice colleges and universities.

We have Rutgers, New Jersey Institute of Technology, The College of New Jersey, Stevens Institute of Technology, Montclair State University, Seton Hall University, Rowan, Fairleigh Dickinson, The  Richard Stockton College, Drew University, Rider, Kean, William Paterson, Ramapo, Caldwell College, Georgian Court and the list goes on and on...

When I first started this challenge, I had no clue I would be highlighting the colleges of New Jersey. But lately, I can't seem to stop thinking about them. Probably because my daughters won't let me. They have been relentless in pressing me and The Husband to look into colleges and unis with them. It's really turning me inside out. I'm not ready for this! They are still so young.

Initially, when my girls asked The Husband and I to start researching colleges with them, I kind of blew them off. I said, come on, you're only in middle school. You are way too young to be worrying about this...you might change your mind, you don't really know what you want to do yet. Well, guess what? I was wrong. Because although it's true they are young, they're already in the process of choosing their core classes for high school and what they choose to take does directly impact their college choices. Their choices do matter. Gah!! 

Although my girls are young, both of them have a solid idea what they want to pursue as their career paths. Both of them are plotters and major planners. They are, if you haven't already guessed, high achievers. Both of them are so driven and focused it's  frightening. I am proud of them for taking their education so serious yet the scaredy cat inside of me is still screaming, I'm not ready!

The thought of my daughters leaving the nest and flying far, far away is already killing me. The Husband, dear Lord have mercy, is worse than me. This is literally the first time I have ever seen him nervous and visibly rattled. He can't seem to wrap his mind around the girls leaving either. The only good thing is since the girls are so young we have a few years to prepare ourselves and warm up to the idea of them going out on their own. Twitch, twitch. Even typing that makes my eye start to twitch and tick...

Are any of you facing the same reality of having your kiddos going off to college? Did you attend a state school? What made you choose the college you attended? Did any of you attend college in NJ?  Did you always know what you wanted to be when you grow up? 


*According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the average cost of a college education these days is $22,958. I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed for scholarships*  


16 comments:

  1. They do need to plan now.
    Is that per year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Planning early for college is always a good idea. As long as they don't change their minds about what they want to do. Then you may have a little problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they are sure! They both seem to be. My middle daughter told me when she was three she was going to be a marine biologist. She hasn't changed her mind yet, and everything she's done since she was three years old as far as her education goes, has been geared toward that end. The other has wanted to be a chef/food critic since 5th grade. She's pretty dead set on that. She even started her own blog called Faith's A Foodie where she features all of her restaurant reviews and recipes now. I'm not sure what the future will bring, but I really hope they both chose something that they love and will make them happy.

      Delete
  3. Being a junior in high school, the fact that college is looming ahead so closely is kind of freaking me out. And yes, DEFINITELY fingers crossed for scholarships. Good luck to your girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, yeah. I can see where the pressure would be on fire as a junior, because the heat is on my girls now and they are only in middle school.

      Delete
  4. Your girls are very smart to start planning now. Every single class they take in high school affects their college resume. My son is a college freshman now. He was very fortunate to receive an academic scholarship so he could attend his dream school. There is so much academic money available, you just need to do your homework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. Congrats to your son for winning that scholarship. The competition for scholarships is fierce in these parts, but I know my girls will do their very best to have at em'!

      Delete
  5. Wow with the college costs! Good for your daughters thinking ahead and wanting to check out the colleges/universities now, especially if they have an idea what they want to do with their lives career wise and then they can gear high schools to that. It is hard when the kids leave home, I will admit it. I still would love to have mine living with me, but I guess they have to leave the nest sometime. Good thing you still have a few years before that happens!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that was just a state college tuition! I can't imagine what an out of state school will cost us. Oy vey!!

      The Husband and I are going to have to travel or throw ourselves into a new project because we are going to go nuts without the girls home. Especially since they are only a year apart, it will seem like they are all gone at once. God is good to give us this time to prepare our hearts and minds for he seperation.

      Delete
  6. Our son majored in electrical engineering and is a software developer. Not really related but you never know what doors will open. Our daughter went to a nursing program and got her RN certification. She then went to University of California to get her Bachelors in nursing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did they always want to do those things? Or did they decide later in life? I know so many people who changed majors halfway through school and it screwed up everything for them. It's so hard to know for sure what you want to do. I just hope they make the right decisions!!

      Delete
  7. Just went on college tours with my daughter the other day. Terribly, terribly sad, but good for her. And about costs--I had no idea, but apparently what you get on the SAT and ACT really makes a difference. My daughter is getting offers of 50% off due to her high SAT. Here is a site that might be able to help: http://collegeprepgenius.com/ Highly recommend starting, even this early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Mel!! You are a rock star. Thanks so much for the tip. I'm super excited for my girls and their future endeavors yet at the same time I'm terrified. I know I don't do well with change, so I am starting to prepare my heart and mind for this transition now. Maybe, since I have a couple of years to warm up to the idea of them going, I will be on board by the time it actuallyhappens. Here's hoping!!

      Delete
  8. Sadly, it's probably never too early start thinking about college. I know it's scary to think of sending them off, especially if they choose to go far away. Fortunately, you have so many choices in one rather small state, so maybe they won't be so far away.

    Your girls are really special and definitely overachievers (a good thing). I suspect they will have a wide choice of places to go and hopefully scholarship offers will come flowing in. All of this is great but it does nothing to offset the 'empty nest syndrome', already been there and done that,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to pray on it and allow God to give me peace. I know it will be SO hard to have a house without all the noise/activity my girls (and all of their friends) bring. Our time is so short. But this is what I've trained them for-going out into the big, big, world.The Husband is worse than me. He is having a lot of trouble with this. He acts and looks like such a big tough guy but inside he's a mush and all heart. It's killing him. And they haven't gone anywhere yet! He keeps telling them to only apply to state schools...but Faith and Farrah both already have their hearts set on out of state schools. We shall see what the future brings. And in the meantime, try to prepare ourselves for the seperation anxiety.

      Delete