About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 25, 2015

A-Z Challenge Letter V is for Vineyards

The A-Z theme I chose this year has been a tour of all my favorite places in the state of New Jersey. Letter V on the stop is going to stand for Vineyards.
Renault Vineyard,  if you look closely, you can make out the golf course behind the vines.
Yes, I said vineyards!! Jersey has them, and a good number of them too.  (48 wineries to be exact) My personal favorite is the Renault Winery, in Egg Harbor City, (on the southern end of the state) which is the oldest in all of New Jersey, and recognized as one of the oldest continuously active wineries in the entire US.
My beautiful cousin Lauren got married at the Renault Winery
Here she is posing with a portrait of  Louis Nicholas Renault, painted on an old wine barrel. 
The winery's story begins in Europe, with one man and a sap-eating insect. Master Vintner, Louis Nicholas Renault was a representative of the ancient champagne house of the Duke of Montebello in Rheims, France when Europe was hit by the greatest disaster in the history of wine. The introduction of phylloxera, a parasitic aphid in the mid 1800s. It nearly destroyed France's entire wine industry.
Waving to the Hubs from the balcony of  our room at the Tuscan House, the hotel at Renault. 
In 1855, Renault set his sights on the new world in hopes of saving his vines. His first attempt to reestablish a vineyard was in California, but phylloxera had unfortunately destroyed the root systems of grapes there too. It was then Renault heard about a native American grape that grew on the east coast, a grape that had a natural resistance to certain pests and disease. Renault headed for south Jersey, where this grape was rumored to thrive. Finding a climate and soil similar to that which he knew in France, Renault decided to settle and establish his vineyard there. In 1864 he purchased the land in Galloway Township. By, 1870 he introduced his New Jersey Champagne.
I am quite fond of the Renault's Blueberry Champagne. It's like nothing I've tasted anywhere else. Super sweet, but I love it.

Today, the Renault Winery is open for historic winery tours, tastings and festivals throughout the year. It has an 18-hole champion golf course, a gourmet restaurant that's fabulous, it holds beautiful weddings and is home to the Tuscany House, a 50 room hotel, with yet another great restaurant within, named Josephs. All this makes the Renault Winery a necessary stop on Jaybird's tour of my favorite places to visit in New Jersey.
This is my favorite pic of me and my momma, at my cousin Lauren's wedding, held at the Renault Winery


31 comments:

  1. Lovely. Vineyards are beautiful. If I ever get to Jersey I will definitely make a stop there. Believe it or not there are some wineries in Wyoming. http://wyowine.wix.com/2015

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? Wineries in Wyoming? Now that is something I would not have guessed.

      Delete
  2. He picked a good spot then. Sounds like an awesome place to stay for the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful at Renault, and a very cool place to check out.

      Delete
  3. Oh, a vineyard. I've never been to one, but I've always wanted to go.

    That is a beautiful picture of you and your mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great picture of you and your mom! How interesting with the story behind the vineyard. I think I might want to take a sip of the blueberry champagne just to taste it. I like blueberries and champagne, just not sure if I would like them together :) I have had wine from Maryland, visited a winery there years ago when visiting sister in the Washington DC area, but that's about all of the East Coast wines I've tasted. Would be interesting to see how they compare to the wines on the West Coast.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty- thank you. My mom is my hero. I am not much of a drinker, at all, but that blueberry champagne is delicious. It's very sweet, so maybe not for everyone, but I love it.

      Delete
  5. Mmmm wine. I'm not keen on Champagne, I prefer a dry white instead, but I love New World wines - Californian and New Zealand especially :-)

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a champagne drinker either, but this blueberry version is awesome. I like sweet, not dry wine. I drive my father crazy, because he is a wine snob and I could care less what's supposed to go with what- I only care about what I think tastes good. :)

      Delete
  6. Believe it or not, I'm almost 27 and I've never a drop of wine, or any kind of alcohol for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea for you Adam. I hope you make it for another 27years or longer still.

      Delete
    2. I can believe it. Some people can go their whole lives living without a sip of alcohol, and yet others...not so much. I am happy you are the prior, not the latter. Good on you.

      Delete
  7. Wow. That vineyard looks amazing. And you are stunning all dressed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I clean up pretty good every once in a while. LOL Thanks Jay. And yeah, that vineyard is a pretty awesome place to visit.

      Delete
  8. Let's talk about the important things first. Blueberry Champagne - YIKES! I have got to get me some of that and try it. It sounds absolutely awesome.

    Second, YIKES Jaybird, you are gorgeous. That picture with Mom is absolutely beautiful.

    Finally, I had no idea that there were wineries in Jersey, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This looks like a beautiful place to stay and what a great venue for a wedding. You cousin, BTW, is also beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that could be arranged! I love that blueberry champagne, and I am so not a drinker. It's super sweet, so if you are a fan of say sweet dessert wines, you would love this too.

      Thanks so much for the compliment. My cousin Lauren and I are really close. She is such a beautiful girl, inside and out. So amazing. And I am so incredibly proud of my mom. My mom, is one of the most selfless, intelligent, humble, caring, loving and wonderful human beings on the face of the earth. NO one that meets her, doesn't walk away blessed from having known her for even a second. She is my hero, for sure.

      Delete
  9. Aww, such a sweet photo of you and your mom. We’ve had lunch at the winery. I’ll have to give Josephs a try next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josephs is great for lunch and dinner. Be warned, they give huge portions and I'm not a fan of their breakfast/brunch. Too many people in the hotel in the morning so it gets a little too crowded for my tastes.

      Delete
  10. Every time I see gloom and doom story on the news, I always remember there are plenty of people like that man who will persevere in the face of all sorts of trouble. What an awesome story. I would love to try that blueberry wine. I am a sickly sweet lover. I cannot train my pallet to enjoy dry wine. My father was so ashamed.

    That's a beautiful picture of you and your mom. You're so pretty. I love your smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. I love my mom so much. She always brings out my smile- she is my heart.

      Sounds like our dads could commiserate. My dad is mortified of me and my undignified wine habits. Despite having dragged me all across Nappa and lecturing me over and over about quality wine and what goes with what, I don't ever follow the "rules". I drink what I like, when I like it. And I don't hold the glass right or swirl the way you're supposed to either. Needless to say, I think he finally gave up on teaching me. He is such a big wine snob, he only drinks wine from this one vineyard he found to his liking in Italy. He gets it special delivered every few months... he is pretty hard core.

      Delete
  11. Very nice winery and the pic of you and and your mom is priceless. Thanks for sharing it with us. I've never had blueberry champagne but it sounds really good. I did a lot of wine tasting in CA but none since moving to the desert.

    Sunni

    http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a lot of wine tasting in Nappa when I lived in CA. I am fond of the sweet dessert wines the most, so this blueberry champagne calls to me. I don't really drink very much, but when I do, I would choose this champagne for sure.

      Delete
  12. That seems like the perfect place to get married. I'm not much of a wine drinker--mostly because I haven't mastered how to get the darn cork out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cork is my husband's job. I am always afraid I'm gonna shoot my eye out, lol. It was a great venue to get married in- so beautiful.

      Delete
  13. I've never been to a vineyard but it sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fun to explore and stomp some grapes- I always think of I love Lucy and that classic episode when I see people stomping grapes.

      Delete
  14. Wow, that vineyard is gorgeous, and what a sweet pic of you and your mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather. I love my mom so much- she is the best person I have ever known.

      Delete
  15. I LOVE wineries--some of the most beautiful places on earth...speaking of beautiful...some amazing pictures of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- that winery is just breath-taking. And thanks for the compliment. Sometimes, when I put away the mom jeans and t-shirts, I scrub up nicely. LOL

      Delete