About Me

My photo
Jersey Shore, United States
In case any of my friends or family members actually read this Blog, please consider all Names, Characters, Places and Incidents to be the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales are entirely COINCIDENTAL...Muaaah!! Now, really, about me: I bring the crazy wherever I go, so I've been told...I make fun of myself more than anyone else ever could. I hate: the awkward silence in elevators, watches with no numbers, picky eaters, Cancer and legalism. I love: coffee, stalking Hugh Jackman, my Spanx, COMMENTS, sarcasm and writing: Middle Grade, NA, YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A-Z Challenge Letter R is for Red Bank

My A-Z theme is a tour of my home state New Jersey. Today's stop: Red Bank.
Downtown Red Bank, love, love, love to shop here.
Red Bank is in Monmouth County and is one of those hip towns that's both a cultural and social hot spot. It's chock full of never-ending events to keep you coming back for more. Red Bank hosts my  personal favorite event the International Flavor Festival. The IFF is when 25 of Red Banks finest restaurants sell (for charity) International favorites, including Korean, Thai, Italian, Chinese, All American, Mexican, Irish and many more food samples..as well as International beer and wine. YUM.
William "Count" Basie, jazz pianist
One of my favorite venues to take in a concert or show

One of my other favorite things to do in Red Bank is go to the Count Basie Theatre, named after the famous jazz pianist, William James "Count" Basie. They host all kinds of concerts and events here. After a concert, you can usually find me right next door. Hanging out here: 

The Broadway Diner is right next door to the Count Basie, so convenient!!
Red Bank always has so much going on. The next few months will be even better with the return of the Red Bank Farmer's Market every weekend and StreetLife, which hosts live entertainment and street artists on the sidewalks downtown every Saturday evening from 6-9. Then, in July, The Food & Wine Walk shouldn't be missed, as well as the 6th Annual Red Bank Guinness Oyster Festival! I could go on and on listing all of the things you could do in Red Bank.

Does Red Bank sound like the kind of place you'd like to hang? Oh, I almost forgot to mention, Red Bank is one of those places in NJ where you are most likely to run into a celebrity, just hanging out or walking down the streets.  Like, Bon Jovi. He hangs in  Red Bank a lot. He launched his first "community restaurant" for charity here called  Soul Kitchen. At Soul Kitchen, there are no prices on the menu because it accepts both cash and volunteer hours as payment.  It's worth checking out:

What is your favorite place to hang out and why? What brings you out- a festival, a theatre, art, concerts, food, charity events or all of the above, like me. - Only 8 days left of A-Z everyone; I can hardly believe it!!!

26 comments:

  1. Wow, Red Bank sounds so cool! No wonder you like to hang out there...

    And there's really only eight days left for A-to-Z? That went fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much fun to hang there. Can't wait for A-Z to wind up. I'm tired Heather!!!!

      Delete
  2. Jon Bon Jovi... okay, but only if I really have to ;-)

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... Chinese food. I used to live in PA, but moved to AZ and then TX. I can get amazing Mexican food, but it's really hard to find decent Chinese! I've never been to Red Bank, but it sounds fun. Just stopping by from Blogging A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hear ya. Great Mexican food, like I grew up eating on the West Coast, was kind of non-existent in NJ for a while. But now- we are heading in the right direction!! Thanks so much for popping in!!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like the place to be. I'd like to sample all of those international cuisines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to pace myself Nick- I tend to get carried away sampling. Stuffing my face with Thai and Mexican and Italian all a once, doesn't sit well if you know what I mean. Ha. But now that I'm a veteran at the IFF, I know better.

      Delete
  5. Red Bank sounds like a fun place to be. Festivals always bring me out. And food. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about the food for me. And charity of course. All about the charity. But I like my charities to involve good food. Ha. j/k

      Delete
  6. This sounds like an interesting and busy place. I don't think I could run out of things to do here in a month of Sundays. I have to admit, so far, the place you've mentioned that intrigues me the most, Is Ocean Grove. It looks a lot more sedate then Redbank, but that's my idea of a real beach vacation. Still enjoying the tour and can't believeyou've almost made it to the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can respect that. Red Bank is more for the hipster-type crowd, but they are not exclusive. Ocean Grove is more about the beach and peace and quiet. Because you know me, you can see where my personality would be drawn to both settings, depending on my mood.

      Delete
  7. The best wine shop here in Wilmington, NC is named Red Bank Wines because the owner if from Red Bank, NJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how funny!! How's that wine taste? I am going to post more on NJ vineyards, when I get to the letter V. Check back to see!!

      Delete
  8. Jazz and food? Sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. One of my favorite combos for sure. I miss you Elizabeth! Glad to see you are done your edits and back to blogging.

      Delete
  9. Jaybird, I'm a huge fan of jazz and Count Bassie is awesome. How very cool there is a Count Bassie Theatrre in Red Bank! I also think the idea of a charity restaurant is very cool. Looks like a great place to hang out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you don't have to pay, if you can't. You can just work in the garden or the kitchen, and still be fed. What an amazing concept, right? I love it.

      I am a fan of jazz, and am always super psyched to go to Count Basie and hear some good music. It's always a great night.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Food, wine, and all for charity? You can't really go wrong with that combo, can you?

      Delete
  11. my city's downtown has only a few good spots, and some homeless people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Adam. You need to come and visit NJ. We have it all here.

      Delete
  12. Looks beautiful! I visited NJ once--we were staying across the river from NYC. The ride from the airport to the hotel was $50 despite it being about two miles away--something about a fight between NJ and NYC. The sign at the airport said, "If the cab driver tries to charge more than $50, let us know," so I handed him $60 (after he drove the entire way while talking on his cell). He yelled at me for "not tipping" and I said it was $50 plus a $10 tip. He said "There were tolls," to which I pointed out the sign at the airport. He slammed the trunk and screeched off, angry. THAT is why I won't go back to NJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Please don't allow one mean, angry cabbie represent all of NJ. There really are lovely people here. But I can relate. My husband absolutely refuses to visit CA with me, because of his bad experiences there. I grew up on the West Coast, and my BFF still lives there. I am dying to bring my kids, but he won't ever give in to go and visit with me. I really want him to change his mind...but after 20 years of marriage, he still hasn't changed it yet :)

      Delete
  13. My oldest daughter lived in Red Bank before she got married and then moved to Tom's River. Gosh, I don't remember all these cool things when I was there, but then again I guess we were busy doing other things.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Join us on May 4 with your post of Reflections about this year's A to Z.
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete